[New Drama] My ID Is Gangnam Beauty Episode 1 - 10

In midst of fawning over my latest addiction 流星花园 (for yooooou wooo hooo) I accidentally picked up another gem on the way, which mercilessly flings my heart into space to crash with the meteors. That similar explosion of jiggly feels you get from watching Weightlifting Fairy! I'm in for it, let's gooooo!!


The title may sound tacky, but the social issues addressed in the drama is real. Objectification of the female body, looks, roles, existence were one of the few so brazenly smacked into the glamourous face of Gangnam, the kingdom to plastic surgery. In a society where every inch of your body is intensely scrutinised and every judgement revolves around one's appearance, we are pulled into the struggles of the ordinary who face criticisms whenever they fail to fit into the beauty standards in the Asian context.

I'm guilty of being subconsciously eaten up by the same mentality, but I count myself lucky to not be at the worst place - Korea. Couldn't imagine myself living daily under such pressure, to the point I might detest myself for no reason. Just because I lack of high nose bridges, small faces, or curvy figures.


True that the story inserted an unrealistically devoted caricatured prince to charm the romance, for we know (come on, don't lie to yourself) it's near to zero possibility for a guy to fall for the 'cute feet dance' when you look like an ogre. I thought it'd be more convincing if he appreciates and remembers her for some mightier reason, but ok, if you say so.


Life remains tough even after surgery, but I'm so glad Mirae stays true to herself as she braves malicious remarks and hopefully, learn to love every beauty and imperfection of herself. Accompanied with Kyung Seok, of course!

Comments

Popular Posts