[Review] Oh My Ghost Episode 16 (End)

Now that my head is clear, it's time to send our lovely characters off with reluctant tears.


My heart hasn't ached so much since Healer, which goes to show how awesome Oh My Ghost has been in terms of its story layout, development, and delivery. All the emotional punch are right, and the show clearly knows when to swerve its wheels to keep us readily invested in its characters and whatever they have to say. A simple task that many dramas have failed to achieve apparently, thus making this drama double excelling and laudable for its wonderful grasp on timings.


Of course, the impact would have been lesser if not for its fabulous cast, which has done a great job in injecting lives to even the most frivalous character (referring to Seo In Guk who cameoed as Edward Seo). The portrayal of individuals are played out so well it's just going to leave us with memorable characters at the end of the day, and possibly, lasting a lifetime. I cannot imagine a kitchen without Sous Chef and his irritable but somewhat likeable nagging, or a whiny Kyung-mo who is all disillusioned about his charms. The show wouldn't have been complete without them, yunno.


Admittedly, there are flaws here and there, such as the rules of ghost/evil spirit possession aren't explained quite thoroughly (on what basis does Sungjae's possession take place?), or that Chef's change of heart is unbelievably fast upon learning Bong-Sun's episode of possession (actually I'm still not entirely convinced that Bong-Sun is the one he really loves, but well, I'm giving them the benefit of doubt since I can't bring myself to tear them apart). Nonetheless, it is still lovely to witness the growth of our leads, notably Bong-sun and Soon-ae, who knows how and when to put their priorities right and not entangle themselves in petty conflicts. Thumbs up girls!


And special mentions to Sung-jae, I love your last scene in episode 15. The look of despair that seems to say that he doesn't mean to hurt anyone, really. That was some mind blowing acting that had me sucked in. All the way in.


Just like the girl who accidentally stumbled into their lives, bye Show, you were a midsummer night's dream to me too. Time to wake up from this dream and continue with my life, sob.

Comments

Popular Posts