Now Or Never: Experiencing an Event Helper's life

Sometimes the passion surged from nowhere and it left me incredibly speechless. Apparently I decided to sign up as a day's school event helper since I've never tried it before, and in a twist of events I have to wake up at 4.40am (note: I slept at 1.30am) and take a cab at 5.15am, finally reaching UCC at the reporting time 6am. I felt like a zombie.

But on a good side it proceeded as what I've expected: meeting new people and happily engaging in conversation with them (I must have been very social-deprived). I guess it's good to leave my comfort zone once in a while and open my circle to new people, otherwise my current social circle will only (and most probably) continue to shrink into a pathetic size. It's not a pleasant feeling, but it's unavoidable altogether.

Keeping one self busy (and involved in this kind of entrepreneur events) never fails to remind myself that I have to set new goals for life. When similar age people are diligently seeking out for opportunities, all the more I shouldn't stick my butt around and slack it off. Time to buck up, cheong ying hui. One more thing, I really appreciate talking to people of other backgrounds because they always teach me something novel and refreshing. I never knew the difference between softball and baseball lies with the way of pitching (I had such a long but super interesting talk with an Indian softballer and he was explaining to me the rules. I was quite amazed I actually knew so much about baseball wow, thanks to nino's drama). I never knew medicine students can SU their modules throughout 5 years. I never knew the grade-less system for year ones only applies to semester one. I never knew Bangladesh was previously east Pakistan, and the conflict it sparks between India and Pakistan. I had a crash course on Vietnamese phrases today with a new-made Vietnamese friend, and I taught her how to count from 1 to 10 in Mandarin. So trivial yet so fascinating, so energy-draining but satisfying.

At the end of the day it's not about the pay that matters (since teaching tuition would have earned me buckets of cash), but the people you get to meet along the way. I know I might never meet them again, but who knows? Fate always plays us in the hand.

A little clip to rejuvenate me! Two online project meetings starting at 10pm aaaarghhs.

Comments

Popular Posts