A whole brand new experience.

For the past years, visiting the dentist means a small room equipped with a complicated osim-like chair whereby the dentist will attend to your tooth. I was more or less expecting the same kind of treatment when I headed for my wisdom tooth operation yesterday, conveniently forgetting that mine was not an extraction but a surgical one. Oh my god, god knows how taken aback I was when I entered the surgical theatre. No chance for back out, so I had 2 seconds of mental preparation before being ushered up to the surgical table.

The feeling was pretty indescribable. Knowing you were in the hands of experts but suspecting things might turn awry amid the operation and you might bleed to death. I somehow learn to appreciate the times my sister and kah told me about their operations, it always sounds less frightening than truly experiencing it for yourself, and there I was, shivering in cold and fear. Probably one of them noticed that and grabbed my hand to comfort me, and the other kept increasing the warm air flow inside my blanket to keep me from coldness - I could never express my gratitude at that moment. White fluorescent lights adjusted to glare at my mouth, cloth covered over my eyes, the whole team of nurses and doctor on standby, me lying on the table ready for slaughter. Yea, the exact scene you see in medical drama, only that I'm conscious with no breathing apparatus to knock me out.

Procedure wise was painful and scary, who told me you can't feel the pain! The very first step of injecting anesthesia almost got my heart out as I whined in pain. Following on, the drilling and cutting was not that scary but I strongly suspect the amount of anesthesia used was not enough because I could secretly feel some pain. When the surgeon stitched back my wound it went through one of my tastebuds and I quickly pulled my tongue away in fear she might stitch it together with the gums Lol. Otherwise, everything was done clean and nice and I was out quite fast as compared to the rest. Mighty cheong effect, of course!

Alright and the after effect is overrated. Guess nothing could be worse than the previous time my gums swelled, that was holy shit painful and had raised my threshold for pain really high. It is true that after an hour of surgery you do feel a little painful, but after that (till today) I was perfectly alright, able to eat and sleep and sing my guts out per usual. Either my recovery speed is superb, or that the whole thing is no big deal. Heh. Not implying I want another round of operation okay, die also don't want.

A little present! Though I'm gonna trash it soon because it's unhygienic.


Just a little mention of what I was doing during the operation: Singing Kanghwi's "Baby Why" in my heart. It helps to calm my nerves, especially when the surgeon is digging and pushing instruments down my gums and I subconsciously stop breathing, with my heart beating really fast. Hence my final advice to potential victims of wisdom tooth: Soothe your fear out with music!

Comments

Popular Posts